This sequence to prepare you for Tittibhasana strengthens the wrists, forearms and the belly while stretching the hamstrings all at the same time. It is a super fun way to fuse your mental and physical talents! It requires a balance of the two!
Here are the steps to start:
1 – Beginning at the front of your mat in Tadasana (Mountain pose). Beginners, feet hip width apart.
2 – Inhale, Utkatasana (Chair pose). Knees bent, naval in and up and shoulders down and away from your ears.
3 – Exhale, Uttanasana and as you inhale lift halfway, Ardha Uttanasana (Standing Half Forward Bend).
Plant your palms where your fingertips are in line with your toes.
• Jump or step back into plank and exhale lower down, Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff pose).
• Keeping your elbows in close to your ribs and your shoulders in line with you’re your elbows.
4 – On your next inhale, Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) and exhale into Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog).
• Step your right foot forward and toe heel your right foot towards your left wrist into Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (Half Pigeon pose).
5 – Press into your hands and engage the core reaching your right foot behind your back into Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog).
• Take your feet at the width of your mat inhaling flat back, Ardha Uttanasana (Standing Half Forward Bend).
6 – On an exhalation, bend your knees placing your hands behind your heels.
• You want the back of your knees and calves to come high towards your shoulders.
• Inhale and hug your inner thighs into your upper arms, lift your head and lower your buttocks towards the mat.
7 – Engage your core pulling the belly in and up, pressing into your hands to lift up. You can stay here and cross your ankles over.
8 – For the full expression, exhale as your straighten your legs and point your toes into Tittibhasana (Firefly).
• Squeeze your inner thighs into your triceps and keep pressing into your hands. Take a few breaths.
• On your next inhale, bend your knees lifting your buttocks up and placing the soles of your feet back onto the ground and begin straightening the legs.
• Exhale, step your feet back into Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog).
• Come high into your tippy toes, bend your knees and look forward. Jump step or walk forward.
• Inhale lift and lengthen and exhale Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend).
• Inhale Utkatasana (Chair pose) back into Tadasana (Mountain pose).
Repeat on the other side.
Original Post Yoga Magazine